A couple of days back I wrote something about some huge issues I had with the PHP autoloader technology. After reading up some more on the autoloader and some help from the PHP developers I finally tracked down the issue.
As it turns out the autoloader functionality is called when PHP is unable to find the class you are using automatically itself as a last effort. Though that wasn't the issue I encountered. It took me about 3 hours of debugging the function to find out there was a problem with the logic of the autoloader function I wrote myself, doh!
Something with breaking out of a loop to early :-(. After fixing this issue my autoloader was working beautifully. So I am happy to say that it is possible to write a modular PHP web application after all.