In my previous post I mentioned that I had and still am having some serious issues with the stability of the VPS I’m running all of my websites on. Though I’m still a long way away from solving the issue, I have figured out that it is very likely caused by an upgrade of Dovecot.
Why I believe that dovecot is slowely over time eating up memory, well after I disabled it the VPS continued running without any issues. I already knew Apache 2, subversion and MySQL weren’t causing it. So I only had postfix and dovecot left to test.
What is truly amazing is that the website for Dovecot indicates it is low in memory consumption, hence it has no settings to limit the amount of memory allocated for Dovecot. So I still need to figure that part out, or alternatively change to a different IMAP server.